Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Conference: Priesthood and Women

I don't have a ton of time to post (the life of a college student), but this morning I read this article: LDS Church responds to priesthood meeting request by activists and I tried to explain my thoughts to Andrew and he asked me to write it down so he'd have time to talk about it when he wasn't working. When I went to write my thoughts down, I decided this blog could use an update. I'd love to hear your comments below, but please be nice. I'm just trying to have an open mind.

So I got to this article because the church announced that it would be broadcasting the Priesthood Session live for the first time this conference. That is super exciting for me! Here's why. In the past, I've had a huge problem with how I was not allowed to attend Priesthood Session. (Any of my guy friends from high school will attest that I always requested detailed notes from them. And my husband and father have always been under the same obligation.) Some women will say, "What's the big deal? We get Relief Society Conference and they get Priesthood. Why can't you just be happy with the equality?" Thus let me explain where my ruffled feathers came from.

First, as a kid, I was always crazy dedicated to conference. I take notes like no other and I LOVE the stories. Be honest. There are WAY more and WAY better stories during the Priesthood Session. Always. Maybe because they know they'll get their point across better to guys with stories than with touching emotions. We're different. And we get different conferences because of it. That's fine and I love it.

BUT Relief Society is broadcast live. (Probably because of all the single mothers who cannot always get a babysitter.) But nevertheless, it is broadcast live and Priesthood is not. Priesthood is all hush hush men only women not invited. I never wanted to go to Priesthood live. I just wanted to be able to watch it broadcast from home. Why? Not just because I love the stories. And not just because I felt slighted by not being included. I wanted to know what the boys were being taught at Priesthood so I could support and remind during the year. I had a lot of guy friends that were struggling with the gospel and I wanted to be able to use conference to have meaningful conversations about their duties and responsibilities. But NOOOOO, women aren't invited. Well, aka-scuse me. Yes, I know I could read them weeks after. But really? If I can read them after, why can't I watch it live?

So, now women can watch Priesthood at home. Maybe you don't care and don't want to. Or maybe you'll feel similar to me and want to watch so you can have meaningful conversations with sons and husbands and friends about the Prophet's counsel. Whatever floats your boat.

Now that that's out, there's actually something different about this article. The LDS Church released their statement (through a woman spokesperson . . . which was anything but coincidental) about Priesthood being broadcast because there are a group of women who formally requested to have tickets to the live Priesthood session. They were denied because:


"It is the hope of the church that the priesthood session will strengthen the men and young men including fathers and sons, and give them the opportunity to gather and receive instruction related to priesthood duties and responsibilities much the same way parallel meetings are held for sisters, such as the general Relief Society meeting. It’s for these reasons that tickets for the priesthood session are reserved for men and young men and we are unable to honor your request for tickets or admission."

Ok. I don't feel strong enough about going to conference live to care about that, but that does rub me the wrong way. Just because the counsel is for men . . . . why does that require women to go away? Especially if those women are wives and mothers. Whatever, that's an unrelated point.

Basically these women who requested tickets to the live session are still planning to meet at Cedar Creek Park before hand, sing a hymn, and walk over together to request to be let in without tickets. I have no doubt they'll be denied, but I feel bad for both those women and the ushers who are going to have to deal with it. My point is, these women are not trying to go to Priesthood for the same reasons I wanted to go to Priesthood. In one of the founder's words:


"This isn't really just about going to priesthood meeting. This is about the ordination of women to the priesthood. We consider ourselves to be prospective priesthood holders, and we want to go to priesthood meeting so we can show our leaders that we are ready for both the benefits and responsibilities of the priesthood. That is our focus."

Now. Please stop for a moment and don't hate. Listen to this next quote. They aren't "protesting" or "rioting" or anything. In their own words, they are "demonstrating our faith by standing at the door and knocking."

Now I know many of you, will shake your head and tell me, "Kenzie, you and these women are missing the point. We have equal but different responsibilities in the church and just because women don't have the Priesthood doesn't mean that they aren't equal members of the church." And I'll tell you. . . . maybe. I want you to take a thought experiment with me. I don't necessarily believe what I'm going to say and I don't necessarily think what I'm about to say is wrong. I just want you to think outside of the Mormon culture in which you were raised and think about the future.

So I'm sure you all remember the situation with Blacks and the Priesthood. Yes? That's a totally unrelated history point that I refuse to engage anyone in right now, but I want you to keep in mind that history while I spew my thought experiment out. I also want you to keep in mind the women in the early days of the church who performed Priesthood ordinances and blessings.

Also, please keep in mind that women perform Priesthood ordinances in the temple. I don't think I'm saying anything wrong by sharing that information. My family members have ALWAYS brought this up to me as if that would settle all my equality issues. It doesn't. But that's another unrelated point.

I have often had the "inequality" of men and women in the church described to me this way. "Before the Fall, men and women shared their responsibilities completely. But after the Fall, something had to be done to make it easier on men and women to complete their responsibilities and return to the Celestial Kingdom. Thus the duties were split and men have certain duties and women have other duties. (Insert joke about "dead guy dooties" here. If you don't get it, just move on.)

In the church, men have the Priesthood and thus provide a spiritual component of salvation by providing ordinances needed to return to the Celestial Kingdom. Women through the miraculous event of birth, provide a temporal component by providing a body. We cannot return to the Celestial Kingdom without the help of a woman and a man. A woman to get a body and a man to get the needed ordinances. Then in the home, the roles are kind of swapped. Men provide temporal needs by providing and protecting their family and women provide spiritual needs by nurturing the children.

Awesome explanation, right? That last paragraph I came up with on my own a while back to help calm my troubled soul. And I like it a lot. Not church doctrine, but I still like it and it does relate to the Family Proclamation pretty well.

Now, here's the thought experiment. If the duties were split . . . then maybe, just maybe, as we get closer to the millennium or maybe not until the millennium, the duties will be brought back together. Imagine this: sometime in the future, women are given the priesthood as well. Leading up to it, women slowly band together like the women above and they never protest. They only have faith that if they show they are ready for the benefits and responsibilities of the priesthood, the leaders of the church will realize that it's time to bring the duties back together. When the Priesthood is given to both men and women, maybe the duties won't be exactly the same. Perhaps there will be different quorums for the women. And like the deacons, teachers, and priests have different duties, these female quorums will have different duties. But they will have access to the Priesthood by their own faithfulness and not just through their husbands or their bishop.

I'm just saying . . . can't you maybe imagine this? I have no doubt that this will not happen this year . . . or in the next five years . . . or maybe not even in my lifetime . . . or really maybe, not even at all. Because it is just a thought experiment and not grounded in any doctrine that I know of. But is it possible that the true order of things includes women? And maybe we're just not there yet because the leaders and the people are not ready for such a big change? (Happened before . . . just saying.)

I've always wondered what Heavenly Mother's job is up there . . . surely her usefulness didn't just end when all the spirit bodies of her children were created and once Christ had a body . . . right? I like to think of Heavenly Mother and Heavenly Father as equal and as working together in each part of this grand plan to get each individual child back.

But like I said. It's not doctrine and thus I'm not going to set all my hopes and testimony on it. I'll keep plugging along working to understand the doctrine I do have and slowly add components to my little testimony. But I am very interested to see how this plays out in my lifetime.

I also very stressed about General Conference now. On one hand, I desperately want someone to talk about this topic and give me the true doctrine. On the other hand, I'm scared that the "true doctrine" will either be held back because of prejudices of church leaders (please know that I am not trying to disparage the prophet but he is only a man and man/woman does have bias as I have learned too well in my church life) OR will hurt so much that my tiny testimony will be shattered and I'll have to start all over again.

I have more thoughts swirling around my head that I'd love to get out to you, but I've actually been picked to be the keynote speaker at my Relief Society's Super Saturday and I'm going to talk on "Finding the Divine Nature of Women". I'll let you know how it goes and what I say. I haven't even figured it all out myself yet. So I'll save some of my thoughts till then.

In the meantime, what are your thoughts? Has this ever been a question for you? Has this never bothered you even once? < --- If that last one's the case, please tell me why because I'd love to get more insight. Did I misunderstand something you've told me before? Or am I missing something you've figured out for yourself?

Basically. Just post below.

Love you all! Enjoy conference!

Kenzie

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting piece Kenzie, and I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. I've never really understood why they didn't do a live broadcast of Priesthood Session either since it's always available after the fact anyway. One reason that I decided on was that they wanted the men to gather together as a Priesthood body to watch it, at least in part because of the blessings and power that come from such unification. Also, I think they wanted the men to take it more seriously, instead of hanging out at home in their PJs. I'm almost a little sad because this could potentially ruin many a "girl's night out's." ;)

    And you know me, this sort of thing never really bothered me that much, maybe I haven't thought about it enough. But all of our struggles come in different ways, and mine are no less painful for me to process :/

    I can, however, understand why they would want to reserve the tickets to the session for just men. Priesthood session is so, so, so, important and beneficial the the men in our lives and in the church. They say things they could never say in a general session (another reason, I think, they didn't broadcast it live). They are speaking directly to the men, and while it is still beneficial for all women to receive the message, it really isn't fair for a woman to take the seat of a man in a session of conference directed at him. To have so many Priesthood holders united together is incredible, I wouldn't want to deny any man that experience by taking their ticket. By the same token, I don't think men should be allowed in the Relief Society session (except for General Authorities, of course!).

    I've never heard that about division of labor coming after the fall. Too me, our differences and our roles are fundamental to our very natures. Otherwise, why would God have even created two different genders? We have male and female because from the beginning it was the plan to have us live in companionships and to use our differences to complement each other until we have reached something far more incredible than we could ever reach on our own, even if we were absolutely perfect in every way. We cannot reach exaltation without a companion. Period. And what is the point of a companionship if we do not have different strengths and abilities? We NEED each other. And we need differences and those differences came long before we had bodies and will continue in the eternities (all physical things have a spiritual parallel).

    So, ordination of women. I've honestly avoided talking about this to anyone ever because of the strong feelings (good and bad) it brings out. It can easily become an emotional subject and that tends to cloud the Spirit. Also, I honestly don't know what to think so far, or at least how to articulate what I think. You raise some very interesting points and valid concerns. Women do have a role in the Priesthood, and will undoubtedly receive more power in lives to come (priestesses... that has to mean something!), but I don't think the ordination of women to the priesthood as we understand it right now is the answer. I just don't think it will happen, or to be perfectly honest should happen. Maybe that's my Mormon culture saying that, but I've never heard a word for it by any prophet and I have heard a lot from church leaders that points me away from ordain women.


    Sorry I wrote basically a blog article in your comments section, but once I started writing, I started thinking and then I got on a roll and couldn't stop. ;)
    I love you Kenzie! I'm glad you're pondering on these things and looking at it with a faithful perspective
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all of this. You said exactly everything I was thinking of writing. I just want to add a quote I really like that helps. Sheri Dew says not to confuse the power of the priesthood (which men and women have) with the keys and ordinances (which men are expected to use righteously). I have no doubt women will join somehow in the keys and ordinances part after this life, but I'm not sure how, since I also have no doubt we will still have different, yet shared, responsibilities. We'll have to see.

      Delete
  2. I love your thoughts/explanation for men and women taking part in both temporal and spiritual duties and the way we swap between them.

    Responding to your quote:
    "Maybe it is time to get another duty!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your post. Not so sure what to write. Personally I have felt absolutely no need for someone to ordain me to the priesthood. First of all, I already see that I have plenty to do as a mother, wife and daughter that I find it absolutely unnecessary. I just don't need nor want more responsibility and I don't need to be in charge. I have plenty already I need to perfect without another responsibility. There is so much already to oversee and control, last thing I want to be in charge of or control is a congregation of people. I see that I can contribute and persuade with words than have to be in charge of things. From my narrow perspective, I see people who have issues appear to have:

    incompetent, inactive, or abusive husbands
    no husband at all
    a need to have control over all things in their life (Just what Satan needed was the power to control everyone and everything which he had no jurisdiction. He knew better or at least thought he did.)

    I personally find no need because I have a companion who is trustworthy, who does everything in his power to fulfill his responsibilities. Respectful and we see our marriage as a team more than anything. I like knowing what is said because then Rob and I can discuss it if I am interested. But to have to attend another meeting- nope, not at all.

    When I was younger I wondered why as a young bride I couldn't accompany my new husband. But I reconciled it when, I realized that if I was getting reprimanded in my duties, I wouldn't want someone there who would nag me about it but give me time to process it and try to practice it. Woman have a tendency to not communicate in such a way that men want to do better. They tend to nag over and over. Instead of recognizing what they do good, women have a tendency to be very critical. By giving men time, the spirit can change the earnest in heart from the inside out and if they wanted support they could ask for it.

    Through the years, I haven't found anything in the priesthood meetings anything I had to know the moment it happened or my eternal life would be thwarted.

    They are not demonstrating their faith by going to the door and knocking. They going to the door, yelling for the whole world to see what they are doing and making sure people feel uncomfortable publicly. And since they don't feel they are heard, they are making a bigger scene hoping that they will feel pressure from the media to make a change. I promise you if you were in a candy store and you wanted a candy bar and started making a big scene throwing a tantrum (remember all tantrums are not lying on the floor and kicking a screaming) you would not get your candy bar. To me this looks the same. Getting the priesthood for them is about control and "rights they deem they are worthy of." Its like telling the Lord, give me that blessing whether or not he is ready to bestow. And I find that those people who usually are kicking and screaming are the ones least ready for it. It is all in HIS time not ours. Some of us have to have more patience and watch it unfold rather than making a scene to get our way immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but I don't know what you mean by this sentence: "When I was younger I wondered why as a young bride I couldn't accompany my new husband."

      I also think women take issue with the idea of presiding and/or being in charge and the inherent confusion with figuring out exactly what that means, but I have realized something. Men are supposed to hearken to God and women to their husbands, which women often complain makes them inferior. Not so! To me this seems like more responsibility. We don't just blindly obey our husbands; we must find out God's will for ourselves and make sure what our husband wants is in line with that. It's like the law of witnesses in a way (I'm just making this particular connection as I type this), since you could think of the husband and wife as two witnesses to the revelation God is giving them for leading their family. Pretty cool.

      Delete
    2. As a young bride, I was so in love. I wanted to spend every last minute with my husband. Not much privacy but hey as a young couple. We never had any callings where we were separated except for attending RS. And I rarely went to any of the RS homemaking meetings cause I don't care for crafts and that was all they did at the time.

      Delete
  4. Well, here are my thoughts. I’m just going to give you my thoughts on several of the subjects that you brought up: what I disagree with and why, but also some things that I do agree with.

    I’m very much like Alysa in the fact that I can safely say that none of this has ever bothered me in the slightest except for the increasing regularity in which some women of the church openly demonstrate their belief that the leadership of this church is wrong in whatever principles/customs/doctrines they don’t agree with. And I agree with your mom that these women are in fact protesting. The dictionary defines protest as “an organized public demonstration of disapproval”. Yes it is a peaceful protest, but the point is still to cause a public scene and force decision making with the backing of public pressure. And, like you said, it’s going to be really awkward for the men going to the priesthood session and the ushers who have to deal with them. Do I think that they were wrong to ask for tickets? No! Of course not! I completely understand women who’d like to go to a live priesthood session (I mean I’d like to go to a live session too. I think that would be way cool). What I don’t agree with is the fact that they are not respecting the decision of the leadership of the church to tell them no.

    This leads to my next thought about the expressed views of the leadership of the church. No matter what prejudices the leadership in the church may or may not have, the policies of the church are not their decision. This church is not led by the Prophet. This church is led by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the prophet is His mouthpiece (so saying that the Prophet is “only a man” is an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard one). In the Doctrine and Covenants in Official Declaration 1 President Wilford Woodruff says this. “The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty.” This, among many other reasons, is why I hold complete faith in the leadership of our church. The decisions about church policies are coming directly from God and the words they speak are the words that He wants us to hear. So I am content in the fact that women are not supposed to hold the priesthood, and if it ever does change in the future (in my personal opinion, I don’t ever think it will or should) I would be content to accept that change because I know it came from God.

    On the flip side: this is a perfect church filled with imperfect people. That being the case, yes there are some instances in the church where leadership is very much influenced by the prejudices of those in charge. Such as leaders in a ward deciding arbitrarily which activities are gender appropriate or not for young men/young women groups (I would’ve liked to have gone on some of those camping trips instead of so many quilting activities, thank you very much). But we make do with what we get and realize that this gospel is a hospital for sinners and we are all struggling to do what’s right. We should be more focused on fixing our faults than finding the faults in others (let he who is without sin cast the first stone, as it were).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now my thoughts about the priesthood and gender roles.

      I’ve never wanted the extra responsibility of being ordained to the priesthood and I greatly admire every worthy priesthood holder that I meet for rising to Lord’s expectations to serve and preside within the church. I’ve talked with my mom about this a few times and she says that in sealings that she’s been to she’s heard the sealer say in more than one session that the priesthood is incomplete without the ordinance of temple marriage. So it doesn’t really matter that men hold the ordinances of the priesthood because without both man and woman together no one can use the full manifestation of God’s power on earth anyway. Thus I fully believe that men and women play equal roles in God’s eternal plan. Keep in mind that “equal” does not, and will never, mean “same” in this context. I really like and agree with your paragraph about the duties that men and women possess on a spiritual and temporal level. Both genders are required on both levels to return to our Father in Heaven in the Celestial kingdom, but their specific roles are different and the ordinances of the Prieshood happens to be one assigned to men. (Actually, here I am the same as Alysa, I’ve never heard anything about a division of labor after the fall either, I’m very much with her and what she wrote about the divine nature of gender roles)

      I completely disagree with the group of women who are fighting for the ordination of women to the priesthood, not just their goals, but the way they are doing it. If they really want to show that they are ready to receive something like the priesthood then they are not going about it the right way. Public protests will not show the Lord we are ready for something like that, if anything it would take away. We need to be perfecting ourselves rather than making a big display about how everything else is imperfect (whether that imperfection be gender inequality or something else). Reading our scriptures daily, praying daily, seeking actual communication with God, listening to the Spirit in all times and in all things and in all places, having faith that the leadership of the church is acting in accordance with God’s will; if we cannot do the little things in daily life, then we will never be prepared to receive greater blessings and further instruction from the Lord. (Side note: Funnily enough I don’t see them fighting to get all the extra meetings that Priesthood holders attend, or volunteering to get up early and clear snow away church buildings like many priesthood holders do in the winter, or offering to go around and collect fast offerings like priesthood holders do… It’s only “equal” if they get the power, but not the responsibilities that go along with it?)

      But at the same time it always amazes me how the Church can take something that could so easily be thrown in a negative light and make it positive. We get to watch priesthood session. (BUT NO! I DON’T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND! WE GET TO WATCH PRIESTHOOD SESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D (…I just have a lot of happy feelings about this…) YEAH!!) The church could have easily just said no and done nothing else. But instead they took their inquiry about attending seriously and did something about it. They got what they wanted. They get to see the Priesthood session at the same time as the men. But instead of this group of women getting online and watching it they’re going to be standing outside the Conference Center protesting that they can’t watch it….??? I just really don’t understand.

      But I’m excited to watch the Priesthood session! :) *starts to make popcorn for it**preps footie pajamas**readies ice cream scoop**pulls out note-taking journals* I’M READY! :D

      Delete
  5. Two more thoughts.
    I disagree with saying that you don't want the responsibilities that come with holding the Priesthood. Honestly, we should already be shouldering those responsibilities through being faithful followers of Christ and through supporting Priesthood holders.

    I am greatly sympathetic to women who do not have a worthy Priesthood holder in the home for any reason. Sure, there are always home teachers, bishops, etc. but to have the Priesthood in the home is an incredible blessing. I understand why those women would desire to be able to minister to their family. I don't have an answer to that except to say life isn't fair. The only reason I can accept that answer to any degree is to remember that God IS fair and he will make everything up to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! By that I totally meant positions held by priesthood members that preside over others in a ward/stake like bishops/stake presidents. (And actually, at this point in my life, I probably couldn't even handle presiding over a class or even a family because I can barely handle my questions regarding my own personal revelation). But yeah, I agree with you, I just didn't write it out very well. (haha, you know how you say something in your head and it *sounds* fine? XD)

      And yeah. I can definitely see where women who don't have a priesthood holder in the home are coming from. (gah! there were so many different perspectives and points that can be brought up here. I tried to be inclusive, but I know I missed a lot) And yes, God IS fair, even though life isn't. But even in those situations we still need to be supportive of our leaders and the decisions of the church. "Thy suffering shall be but a small moment" in the eternal scheme of things (and yeah, I know that really doesn't help some situations, because our sufferings can last a whole lifetime) but if we endure faithfully to the end all will be made right through Him.

      Delete