Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Beginning of Answers

Ah. The beginning post. Not many people read it, and it's more of a symbolic beginning. I wanted to start by explaining why I even started this blog. To be honest it's mostly for me. But I do want to share what I learn with my girlfriends, family, and anyone else who has questions about being a woman in the LDS culture, life, and gospel. Why would I write this? Is it because I feel like I have wonderful answers to share with people? Not really. Honestly, it's the opposite. Like I said, I'm writing this mostly for me. I don't have the answers, and I've struggled with the questions for a long long time.

I don't really want to list my questions, because it gets me on a train of negative, degrading, and confusing thoughts. Let's just say that all of the topics to the right are things I've struggled with. Up until now, I've spent my whole life confronting my demons only once every few months and packaging them up the rest of my life and ignoring them. All that meant was that when I had to confront them, I could expect several hours of sobbing and depression.

I know. Don't think poor of me. And until recently it's felt like nobody has answers. Not church leaders, family members, prophets, or teachers. Everything people said seemed to make it worse. Then this year, something changed. I started receiving revelation in ways I never expected. People around me were saying things that just sparked thoughts that I knew didn't belong to me. I wrote them down, and it helped for a little while until some other big confrontation occurred. A few days ago, I found this lady's blog: Women in the Scriptures. And she said something that changed my whole perspective: study the scriptures!

I know! It's nothing you wouldn't think of . . . but she said to read the entire standard works and highlight everything that mentions something female related. Wow. So far, I've been so surprised by how much there is. Not everything is spiritually enlightening (since I've been highlighting a lot of "daughters" from the phrase "and he begat sons and daughters"), but you know what? It sure makes a difference to flip through pages (electronically) and see all that pink. It makes me feel like the scriptures do relate to me. It's beginning to change my whole perspective. I'm finding counsel everywhere to help with my concerns. Here are a few general topics I'm going to try and address for myself. (You can always find them as tags to the right.)

1) What does it mean to be a wife and how do I be a good one? How can I be an equal partner while having my different roles?

2) How can I still be a missionary at home? I didn't get to serve a full-time mission, and I know I'll always hold a little regret for that even if I made the right choice. So how can I still serve my mission while staying at home?

3) What are the divine attributes of women and what should I be working on? What exactly is my divine nature?

4) How is motherhood a blessing and not a burden? How do I contradict my negative feelings about it?

5) What exactly does the Relief Society do? What should we be doing? Do we really have equal opportunity for leadership as the men? Do women do important things in the church too?

6) Not going to list all my questions here . . . but I have got to find some understanding for certain things that happen in the temple. I promise I won't break covenants when I post, but I've found some really good resources helping me understand some things and I want to share them and search for more.

7) Has the church had a history of oppressing women like the rest of the world? Or did we play any important roles in our history?

8) What women are in the scriptures, and what can I learn from them?

9) If men have the priesthood, what do women have? What is our power?

Anyway, as I said I don't have the answers. But I have faith I'll find them. Eventually. Even if it takes my whole life (as I suspect it will), someday I will know the answers to all these questions and all the others that come up. To anyone who wants to join me on this journey, WELCOME! All I ask is that you acknowledge that people do have these questions and struggle with these problems and refrain from saying things like, "Well I've never struggled with that." or "I don't know what the big deal is." Trust me. It doesn't help. I know you all have your questions. (If you don't you're not thinking hard enough.) This blog just documents my search for my answers.

2 comments:

  1. This blog is so awesome already! I'm glad you're getting some answers and possibly more importantly- figuring out the right questions to ask. One of my thoughts is that women have the opportunity to be part of our physical birth (through... well... birth) and men get to be part of our spiritual birth (through ordinances). Neither of these types of births are possible without the other gender though (sperm, support, marriage, etc.). Neither births are possible without the God either, only he can give life and only he can give priesthood authority. In a perfect world, all men would have the priesthood and therefor all men would have part in spiritual birth. As it is now, only very few men are blessed with that ability but most women are. Of course not all women get that blessing in the right way right now (see infertility, never marrying, rape, etc.) but that is where faith comes in. We have to trust God that he is eternally just.
    Love you Kenzie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKenzie,

    I found your blog through Heather's "Women in the Scriptures" blog. I've wrestled with your same concerns for a good 20 years. I could write a novel about it all, and plan to share more later, but I wanted to share a couple of things that help me: A poem, a song, and a thought.

    Light Shining Out of Darkness
    by William Cowper

    God moves in a mysterious way,
    His wonders to perform;
    He plants his footsteps in the sea,
    And rides upon the storm.

    Deep in unfathomable mines
    Of never failing skill,
    He treasures up his bright designs,
    And works his sovereign will.

    Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take,
    The clouds ye so much dread
    Are big with mercy, and shall break
    In blessings on your head.

    Judge not the LORD by feeble sense,
    But trust him for his grace;
    Behind a frowning providence,
    He hides a smiling face.

    His purposes will ripen fast,
    Unfolding ev'ry hour;
    The bud may have a bitter taste,
    But sweet will be the flow'r.

    Blind unbelief is sure to err,
    And scan his work in vain;
    GOD is his own interpreter,
    And he will make it plain.


    The Things I Know by Doug Walker
    i know little babies come from heaven
    i know god made those tiny hands and hearts
    i know rainbows and roses are no accident
    neither are the sun, the moon, and stars

    so when i doubt
    and there are things in life i just can't figure out
    i trust that god is in control
    and i hold on to things i know

    i know that death is not the end of my soul
    i know something divine lives in us all
    i know there's someone watching over me
    i know my prayers are heard beyond these walls

    so when i doubt
    and there are things in life i just can't figure out
    i trust that god is in control
    and i hold on to things i know

    what good is a test if all the answers are there in front of you?
    some things take faith
    i know that's true

    i know a little baby came from heaven
    the promise of the whole human race
    i know nothing else can hold a candle
    to his love, his mercy, and his grace

    so when i doubt
    and there things in life i just can't figure out
    i'll trust that he is in control
    and i hold on to things i know

    i hold on...
    to things i know

    I'm an active LDS woman, a wife, a mom of 4, and a nurse. I had a Pulmonary Embolism after the birth of my 4th last fall, so it's been a rough year and I now I have that to add to the things I don't understand. But I remind myself that God is not abusive and that I will understand what God wants me to understand, when he wants me to understand it. That's me trying to trust God's wisdom and timing. I'm headed to the temple tomorrow. The temple has been source of stress, when it's supposed to bring peace, but I keep on going. I figure I'm like Adam who offered sacrifices but didn't know why. I think God honors our sacrifices to be obedient when he knows how hard it is for us not to understand.

    ReplyDelete